Why Golf is the Best Game
6 Reasons Golf is the Best Game Ever….
Plus a 10 Minute Warm Up Before Your Next Game!
Dr. Lisa Goodman, DC
“Golf is like life: You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots – But you have to play the ball where it lies" - Bobby Jones
If you ask me what my favorite thing to do outside in Colorado in the summer, the answer is: golf. I know a lot of folks who hike, camp, bike, and kayak, but for me, it's golf. If you are reading this, you probably agree that golf is one of the best games ever! And here’s why…. Also read on for a quick 10-minute warm up to keep you injury free this season.
1. Quality Time. Whether with friends, parents, spouses, colleagues or kids, there is no denying that golf will take up a chunk of your day. This time is spent striking the ball anywhere from 70-100+ times, but in between shots lies precious time to bond, strategize, learn, nurture and grow. I played golf with my dad starting at the age of 12, and many of my memories of him revolve around the putting green.
2. Humility. Golfing is also not for the faint of heart. Even the pros don’t play perfectly every round. Watching your perfectly struck ball sail into the trees, never to be seen again is humbling. Hitting a dreaded sand shot only to watch it land a few feet away in the same sandtrap is SO embarrassing - until you remember, everyone in your group has done it before.
3. Glory. Golf is a great equalizer. Many sports require strength or speed to become the best. Golf is a game of skill. Meaning, no matter how old, young, tall, short, strong or slow you are, you can be amazing at golf. Even if you can’t put together a full round under 90, there will always be that one beautiful shot, or that unexpected chip in for birdie that made you the best for a moment. And that is what keeps you coming back for more. It is never too late to learn and it is a game you can play forever.
4. Fashion. The truth is, looking good on the golf course is 50% of shooting well. Look good/feel good right? Be creative, wear color and match your brands when possible! I love a great golf skirt and a sleeveless/collarless polo on a nice course. If tailored golf apparel is not on your list, check out Broken Tee Golf Course in Englewood - tank tops welcome!
5. Views. Many of the best views you will see while in Hawaii, Mexico, Scotland, California, and hundreds of other places, can only be seen on the golf course. Fairways and greens on ocean cliffs with spectacular, panoramic photo ops are visited one-at-a-time by golf foursomes and enjoyed without crowds, tour buses or 5 hours of hiking! Golf is nature, I rest my case!
6. Patience. Whether golfing with kids or friends, golf will try your patience. Looking for your ball in the tall grass, waiting for the group ahead of you to finish a hole or chipping your ball completely over the green to the opposite side will all try your patience. There is nothing like it, it can feel out of your control. If you can harness the mental fortitude to persevere, golf is the game for you.
10-Minute Perfect Golf Warm-Up to do on the driving range
10 Overhead wide-grip pass throughs with your driver
10 Overhead Squats with your driver
10 Second Lunge Stretch on each side
1 minute of pendulum golf swings with a wedge or 9-iron rotating fully to the left side and the right side of the body starting small and gradually growing to resemble a full range of motion swing to loosen up the shoulders
Hit 4 balls with each: PW, 9 Iron, 7 Iron, 5 Iron, 3 Wood, Driver
Lisa Goodman, DC, CCSP, CACCP is a Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician (CCSP) and Certified Prenatal and Pediatric Chiropractor (CACCP). She is a golfer, CrossFit L1 and CrossFit Kids Certified Trainer. Dr. Goodman founded Washington Park Chiropractic in 2006 in Denver, Colorado. She founded the Kingsbury Golf Open benefiting pancreatic cancer research and treatment in 2015. Stay connected with Wash Park Chiropractic on Instagram @washparkchiro