Lisa Goodman, DC, CCSP, CACCP
Chiropractic care for kids is safe, efficient and effective when indicated after a thorough exam and appropriate diagnosis is delivered. Chiropractic physicians who are certified in pediatrics will complete a thorough exam to determine the exact cause of your child’s symptoms. If your child is experiencing a mechanical cause for their symptoms, they may be easily and safely resolved with chiropractic care. In addition, there are many different types of treatment your chiropractor can use to solve mechanical bone and joint restrictions.
1. Pain. Believe it or not, kids experience back and neck pain. It is not common, as most kids have not experienced the wear and tear adults have. But if your child is complaining of neck pain or back pain, this should be taken seriously. Most of the time, back pain in kids can be solved easily with chiropractic care.
2. Headaches. When headaches are caused by neck muscle tension or joint restriction, they can be solved with chiropractic care. Many times headaches in young child may even be a lingering result of a stressful birth experience! Headaches in older kids may be related to device (iPod) use, studying, sports injury or sleep habits.
3. Sports Injury. Consider adding us to the top of your list for evaluating a routine sports injury and effective treatment.
4. Device Use. If your child is using an iPod/iPad they may already be developing ‘text neck’. We can help resolve this and provide home treatment to prevent it.
5. Well spine exam. Just as you take your child to the dentist as soon as they have teeth, taking your child to the chiropractor 1-2x per year will allow for periodic scoliosis checks as well as discovering latent dysfunction.
6. Better Sleep. Easing pain and stress on the nervous system can help your child fall asleep easier and stay asleep.
7. Ear Infections. Chiropractors are referred to by pediatricians to co-manage ear infections due to the mechanical compression that contributes to lack of drainage.
8. Toe Walking may have many different causes. However, a check of the neck and pelvis can allow kids to heel strike which sets them up for more balanced biomechanics as they grow.
9. Unusual crawling. Chiropractors prefer if kids crawl in a hands and knees pattern. If your child is army crawling, scooting or has an unusual pattern a quick check of the pelvis and sacrum may balance their crawling which ultimately allows for spinal curves to develop properly.
10. Nervous System Overload. If your child has a diagnosis of ADHD, has an insatiable need to fidget, has a hard time with focus or is unable to rest/relax - they may be experiencing an overloaded nervous system. Many times adjustments can provide much needed relief for kids.
There are many other reasons kids benefit from chiropractic care, if you have questions, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Lisa Goodman, DC, CCSP, CACCP is a Certified Chiropractic Sports Physician (CCSP) and Certified Prenatal and Pediatric Chiropractor (CACCP). She is a CrossFit L1 and CrossFit Kids Certified Trainer. Dr. Goodman founded Washington Park Chiropractic in 2006 in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Goodman incorporates sports chiropractic techniques with prenatal and pediatric patients, she teaches mobility and taping classes locally, and is a contributor to POPSUGAR, Urban Life Wash Park and DC Aligned. She is a committee member on the boards of the ACA Pediatrics Council and the ACA Sports Council. Areas of special interest include prenatal care, ankle and wrist injuries, instrument assisted soft tissue techniques, strength training, and pediatric fitness. Stay connected with Dr. Goodman on Instagram @washparkchiro or @lisakgoodman